"What exactly can a private advocate do for YOU?"
Physician trained medical advocates provide patients and their families a trusted “second opinion,” help them find specialists, and answer many of the questions that they may be afraid to ask because they don’t want to offend their doctors.
At Informed Health Advocacy, Dr. Kay also offers:
- Lifetime medical record management
- Periodic review of medication lists (to prevent people from being on redundant medication, medications that shouldn’t be mixed, etc.)
- Consultation with a your doctors to keep everyone communicating
- Assistance in choose and understanding diagnostic testing
- Assistance in making informed decisions about surgery
- Assistance in setting up assisted living
- Assistance in hospice arrangement
- Creation of advanced directives
And the list goes on...
It is also important to know what a medical advocate CAN'T do. Medical advocates ARE NOT a replacement for your doctors. They may work with your doctors or other health care providers, but they do not diagnose disease or treat your ailments. As a matter of fact, it is essential that the medical advocate NOT be in competition with your doctors, care givers, and hospitals that you go to. This is what allows the medical advocate to remain objective and trusted by all those truly concerned about YOUR health.